Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Quick character designs




I had to do about 12 or 13 character designs for a super secret project, these are a couple of my favorite from the group(and not so secret anymore). I did them all in one night so they're not perfect, but they're kind of fun, and got the point across. I also just picked up a book on character design called "Creating Characters with Personality" by Tom Bancroft. I had seen the book on the shelf for a couple months but avoided the book because of the title. I thought it was another Christopher Hart book or a C.H. wannabe. But I flipped through it and the drawings were great. The guy who wrote it is a designer for disney and right off the bat wants you to pay attention to the theories of design instead of his style or any style. But the book has examples of how different artist would design the same character. They have J. Scott Cambell, Butch Hartman, Jack Davis, and more. I had been looking for a book on character design for about a year and a half, and as the author of this book points out- THERE ARE NONE!. There's chapters on the subject but no books. So anyone interested in character design for animation, comics, comic strips, whatever go get that there book.

1 comment:

BrianMORANTE said...

Ha, I figured it wouldnt hurt to put up some rejected designs.